一件坏事发生的时候,我们常常会把它想象的极其糟糕,事后却发现并非如此
Most things aren't nearly as bad as you think they'll be
除了“后悔”这件事。
-- except regret.
“后悔”这件事,比你想象的还要糟糕
Regret is worse.
我们时常会拖延
Often we procrastinate
或者简单的说
or straight up
我们会拒绝那些明知道必须做的事情
don't do things that we know we need to do
因为我们害怕随之而来的不适感
because we're afraid of discomfort.
我们太过恐惧,不敢冒险
We're scared to take a risk
不敢去做没有做过的事情
or do something that we've never done before.
于是我们就垂手站在一旁
So we don't do it.
根据我的经验之谈
I can tell you from experience
事实上,会和你想象中一样糟糕的事情其实少之又少
that very few things are as unpleasant as you think they will be.
你脑海中想象的场景很可能比现实要糟糕许多
Your mind comes up with scenarios that are typically much worse than reality.
只有一件事比我想象中还要糟糕,那就是后悔
The only thing that's ever been worse than I expected it to be is regret,
对那些我的不作为的后悔更多,而对自己做过的事情,我的后悔更少一些
and I've regretted inaction much more often than I've regretted action.
如果你曾因为害怕即将发生的事情,而拖延着不去做某事
If you're putting something off because you're afraid of what might happen,
我想让你知道
know that,
最终
in the end,
你对自己的不作为会更加悔恨,那悔恨会更伤人
the regret of inaction will be much more painful.
避免行动带来的不适感,并不会让你的生活变得更加轻松
You aren't making life easier for yourself by avoiding discomfort.
你只是把不适感推给了未来的李
You're just pushing that discomfort onto your future self,
某一天,你终将会成为那个未来的你
and one day you have to be that future self.
别过让自己悔恨的生活
Don't live a life you'll regret.